Uncategorized

Peaslake Community Council Minutes 4th September 2017

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON THE 4th SEPTEMBER 2017.

This month we had a larger meeting then in July with some attending we have not seen for a long time.

Matters arising from the previous meeting:

It was still not clear who owned the land outside Farney Lane.
We have not yet received a response from the parish Council regarding the omission from the minutes.
Shere planning was under the Tillingbourne heading due to the Ward.

Treasurers report:

We have £70.59 in the account but are waiting for a reimbursement from the Fair Committee for the insurance.

Village Fair:

A vote of thanks to Julie Knight and her team for organising an excellent event. All agreed that the mix of stalls added to the attraction.

Three tables from the Hall have not yet been returned if you know were they are can you please return them.

Village Matters for SPC.

Cllr: Adrienne Golightly reported.

Ebikes on the Hurtwood: SPC had received a response to their letter to the Friends of the Hurtwood, which would be commented upon at the SPC meeting on Tuesday

Not suitable for HGV’s signs: Signs have been erected on the Ewhurst to Shere Road but not on roads leading into Peaslake (Ewhurst Road past Coverwood and Lawbrook Lane)

“I have concerns that this will lead to HGV’s being directed through Peaslake and so have asked for the matter to be investigated and that measures are taken to discourage HGV drivers using Peaslake roads.”

GBC Funding: Grants given to GBC have been severely cut back. This will inevitably mean that repair and maintenance work will not be carried out by . “I will raise this matter to establish how much of this work can be undertaken by SPC in the future.”

Chevrons at Mackies Hill: This work has been completed with SPC covering the costs

Any Other Business:

Questions were raised about the gate on the south side of the Memorial Hall.
MU responded that there seems to be a misconception by some, that the Memorial Hall’s car park/forecourt was Village property, in fact it is private property and belonged to the Memorial Hall. (The public car park is in Pond Lane and is maintained by SPC)
The Memorial Hall, car park/forecourt and the land behind is owned by the Official Custodian for Charities on behalf of the Memorial Hall and was for Memorial Hall users only.
The maintenance of the forecourt/car park, building and land is the sole responsibility of the trustees who are tasked with finding the money to do this.
The gate had been placed there to stop unauthorised parking, protect Memorial Hall users from vehicles, who turn round there, protect the surface of the forecourt and access rights.
Questions were then asked about the use of a metal gate instead of wood, this was due to cost of the metal gate being inexpensive compared to a wooden one.
Mrs Jane Walters and Mrs Anne Hayes asked if the funds could be found could the gate be exchanged for a wooden one, the reply was yes.
It was also explained that the grant to resurface the car park/forecourt was a grant by SPC to the charity.
On the question from JW of the Memorial Hall no longer being viable, the money raised for its sale might be utilised for other charitable purposes, possibly the construction of a new Hall on a different site, but another possibility was that the land (or the money for its sale) would revert to the estate of the original owner (at the meeting it was suggested that this might be the Bray estate but at a post meeting check revealed that the land was originally given by The Hon Henry Cubitt.)
It had been suggested that an agreement with SPC to exchange the Hall for Peaslake Farm might be a good idea, then the fields could be used for a cricket pitch, tennis courts or other sporting activities.

Date of next meeting: 2nd October 2017 8pm.

Community Council Minutes 3rd July 2017

Minutes of the meeting of the 3rd July 2017.

Matters arising from the previous meeting:

It was still not clear who owns the land outside Farney Road,
No report on why Shere planning was going to Tillingbourne,
We have not yet received a response from the Parish Council regarding the omission from the minutes.

PEASLAKE FAIR MONDAY 28th August.
The Fair Committee were finalising the arrangements with some new directional signs being printed. The application for a road closure had been submitted and stall holders being notified. The opening of the fair this year would be 12 noon instead of 1pm.

If you have any 6ft trestle tables you could loan the fair please contact Julie Knight (as we are short of tables this year)

Date of next meeting 4th September 2017.

Community Council Minutes 5th June 2017

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE 5th JUNE 2017.

Matters Outstanding:
None,

Treasurers report:
Insurance paid (£495.35) and a copy of same sent to The Fair Committee.

August Bank Holiday Village Fair.

If you would like a stall at the Fair please contact Julie Knight or to advertise in the programme Samantha McCormich. A copy of the insurance policy as been received by the committee and road closures will be applied for as usual. New direction signs will be produced to help visitors find the car parks,

Electric Bikes on the Hurtwood.

Adrienne Golightly and Martyn Warrell both mentioned that electric bikes have strict regulations which mean that to enjoy the same road or off road access and status as a normal bicycle an electric assist road or mountain bike must be within the 250 W power and with a cut off limit of 25kph.

David Clifford mentioned that one had to be over 14 to legally ride a upto 250W bike on the road.

Electric bikes over 250W or with a cut off speed over 25KPH is classified as a motor bike under UK Law, requiring registration and type approval.

Whilst difficult for the Friends of the Hurtwood Trustees to police it was agreed that on websites and communications it would be noted that only EAPC are permitted on the Hurtwood.

David thought that mountain bikers would also police this, as the more powerful electric bikes would damage trails.

The matter of electric bike would also be brought up at the next meeting with landowners including the NT

Village Matters:

The ditches along the houses on the east side of the Ewhurst Road were requiring maintenance,
As the strip of land is owned by Shere Manor Estates it was agreed that residents affected should write to the Estate coping there letters to SPC.

It would appear from the Surrey advertiser that Peaslake planning applications were going to Tillingbourne instead of Shere. AG will look into this.

Date of next meeting: 3rd July 2017 at 8pm.

Community Council Minutes 8th May 2017

PEASLAKE COMMUNITY COUNCIL.

 

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE 8th MAY 2017.
 

Matters Arising:

 

The omission from Shere Parish Council (SPC) minutes for March 2017 of Peaslake residents views: This omission was raised with the Parish Council Clerk at the April meeting. Peaslake councillors will check whether corrections have been made and residents’ views are reflected in the revised minutes.

 

A25 hatching at the turn off for Gomshall Lane: SPC endorsed the suggestion at the April Council meeting. Peaslake councillors will follow up to ensure that action is taken to raise this suggestion with Surrey County Council. It was also agreed to suggest putting ‘STOP’ signs at the junctions on to the A25 from Shere and Albury instead of the current give way.

 

SPC  Business

 

Audio recordings of SPC meetings: PCC welcomed the decision to continue recording the meetings and asked Peaslake Councillors to ask SPC to put the audio recordings on the website.

 

E bikes: There are two types of E bike. The low powered ones with a max speed of 20mph and the higher powered ones that can go as fast as 50mph. SPC will write to Friends of the Hurtwood to ask for restrictions on use of the high powered bikes on the Hurtwood at the suggestion of Peaslake councillors.

 

Peaslake Farm fields: SPC are exploring the option of leasing the fields to a Peaslake Village Community Interest Company on a long lease. This would provide the protection for the valley that Peasake councillors and the Peaslake Protection Group have worked very hard to achieve. There will be tough negotiations on who funds the necessary work to get the land into a fit state to let, but it is a very positive step forward and residents hope for a constructive outcome.

 

Housing development on Peaslake Farm: Initial planning advice from Guildford Borough Council recognised that Peaslake is an attractive village and the housing development should be designed to fit in with neighbouring properties and not to look like an estate. They also recommended bigger gardens and better parking facilities than those proposed by SPC. Sticking with the original plan of 8 houses would provide more space for gardens and parking.

 

SPC contacted those local people who expressed interest in renting the houses. 11 people replied.  6 of them wanted a 1 bed house and 3 a 1 bed flat. The other 2 wanted a larger 3 bed property.

 

 

 

Treasurers report:

 

Village insurance was now due with a small increase over last year of £15.18 to £495.35.

 

Village Fair: 28 August 2017-05-11

 

A committee had been formed with Julie Knight as chair and will also be taking booking for stalls. Samantha McCormick and Jane Weller will be looking after advertising in the program and sponsorship.

 

Village Matters:

 

SPC councillors present mentioned that the cars parked in Peaslake Farm fields should be moved or be placed undercover within the next three months.

 

Cyndie Gould mentioned that 2 people were interested in having allocation policies.

 

There was a suggestion that the Village Hall should be moved to Peaslake Farm and the proposed housing on the farm moved to the Halls site.

 

Adrienne Golightly raised the following comments for discussion:

Ebikes on the Hurtwood –

Permission was given by the Friends of the Hurtwood, for an Electric bike demonstration days in Peaslake.  2 further events are planned.

 

The event was promoted on the shop’s website as:  ‘The hills and roads of Peaslake provide the perfect opportunity to try out these great electric MTB and Urban bikes in the actual terrain you will be using them.’

 

There is NO stipulation in the promotional material that ONLY the lower powered bikes can be used or that the bikes ridden on private land need the permission of the Landowner.

The Term ‘Electric bike’ has been used, this could be applied to several types of bike.

 

The concerns are that in allowing the use of Ebikes, on the Hurtwood, it will be difficult to keep control when bikes become more powerful and more widely used.

E machines are now being used for road trials and motor cross activities.

 

More powerful Ebikes are classed as Motor bikes, an alternative to motorised vehicles.

The Management Plan for the Hurtwood excludes internal combustion engines, it is unlikely that Electric powered bikes were considered in the plan.

 

If introduced and found to be undesirable, is there any way that the Bikes can be excluded?

There is no doubt that, once established, the use of the Hurtwood as a place where Electric bikes can be ridden will be widely publicised.

 

If these bikes are to be allowed on the Hurtwood, there is a need for strict, enforceable regulation to keep control of the type of bikes and their use.

 

Date of next meeting: Monday 5th June 2017 at 8pm.

Community Council Minutes 3rd April 2017

At the Community Council meeting on April 3, it was announced that applications have been received from the Memorial Hall, Peaslake Free School an d the Friends of the Hurtwood to be considered as beneficiaries of proceeds of Peaslake Fair on August Bank Holiday Monday. A discussion followed on how to split the proceeds in view of the fact the Memorial Hall is in urgent need of further repairs and existing funds are rapidly being depleted. It was decided to split the proceeds by giving 40% to the Hall and 30% each to the School and the Friends of the Hurtwood. Members of the Hall Committee present at the meeting abstained from voting.

We were reminded that the last meeting of Shere Parish Council was held in Peaslake; although the meeting was well attended and included an item regarding Peaslake Farm, no mention of it was made in the Parish Council minutes, which rather surprised us! The Parish Councillors attending our meeting were asked to follow this up.

Following the recent fatal accident on the A25 at the junction of Gomshall Lane, Shere, Parish Councillors present were asked if they would pass on our views regarding changing the road markings at the junction to help to prevent similar accidents in future. A general discussion about road problems around Peaslake followed.

On other topics, members were told that Brian Hilsdon, who for many years has done various maintenance jobs around the area on behalf of Shere Parish Council, is retiring. A discussion took place about the use of electric-powered mountain bikes on the Hurtwood and landowners are to be made aware of this activity.

The next meeting of the Community Council will be at the new start time of 8pm, on Monday, May 8, as usual in Peaslake Memorial Hall.     Jim Collin

Community Council Minutes 6 March 2017.

NOTES FROM MEETING ON MONDAY, 6 MARCH, 2017

 

  1. Time to remember our friend and fellow member, Ken Harrup, following his sudden passing last month.

 

  1. Minutes of our last Meeting:
  2. a) Chevron Poles at School Steps are included in the April/May Budget
  3. b) Consultation papers re Peaslake Farm Fields deferred until SPC Meeting on 7 March
  4. c) Temporary repair to Pot Holes at Gomshall Railway Crossing

Ongoing items:-

  1. d) State of footpath by Copperkins, Pursers Lane.
  2. e) Rainwater from Radnor Road, ditches at Burrows Cross Road junction, hatching of the roads in Centre of the Village
  3. f) Handrail alongside approach to Church & The Old School Room.

 

  1. Treasurer’s Report distributed.

 

  1. August Village Fair:            Requests to benefit from the proceeds of the August Village Fair were discussed.

 

Interested parties need to notify the PCC in writing with a brief description of what the funds will be used for, by our next meeting on the 3rd of April.

 

  1. Friends of the Hurtwood and Peaslake Memorial Hall expressed an interest.

 

  1. Village Pavements have been swept and various drains cleaned recently. We still need to find out who owns the entrance to Farney Lane. There are bad pot holes again between Hoe Lane and Sutton, at the Old Saw Mills in Burrows Cross Lane and at the corner in Hook Lane by Burrows Lea Farm.

 

  1. Discussion about BT upgrade to Super Fast Broadband re links:- http://www.shereparishcouncil.gov.uk/newsletter-archive/

http://superfastsurrey.org.uk/gainshare-deployment/

 

  1. The Annual Meeting of Friends of the Hurtwood is due to take place on Tuesday, 4 April, 2017 at The Duke of Kent School and everyone is welcome to attend.

 

  1. General discussion followed about the condition of the Village Hall and work in progress as and when funds are available, this includes replacing leaking roof vents, flat roof repairs, heating system update, general internal repairs and redecoration.

 

  1. The next PCC Meeting is on Monday, 3 April, 2017 at 8.15pm.

Community Council Minutes 9th February 2017

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE 9th FEBRUARY 2017.

 

 

Matters outstanding from the last meeting.

 

Chevron poles to be cut when finished, Telephone box on Pursers Lane being “adopted” by SPC.

 

Temporary order for traffic on the D222 & D228.

Thank you gifts had been delivered.

 

Treasurers report:

Christmas gifts had been paid and funds were available to cover the insurance later this year.

 

Two consultation papers were produced by our Parish Councillors regarding a proposal to protect the fields of Peaslake Farm and a draft tenant criteria for the fields.

Views of those present were given to the councillors for consideration and forwarding to SPC at the next meeting.

 

Village Matters for SPC:

 

 

  • Path outside Copperkins on Pursers Lane,2) Condition of road at the level crossing. 3) Water on Radnor Road and the possibility of a land slide. 4) Cleaning the ditches by the post box near Burrows Cross.

5) Pathways near Crest Hill,

 

Parish Councillors provided details about imminent road closures in the village. Details are in the Village shop. They also explained that they had got agreement for hatched road markings to stop parking on the corners of Radnor Road and Ewhurst and Pond Lane and Walking Bottom.

 

There was discussion about trying to stop cyclists from damaging the green outside the Church. Ann Heyes proposed that a handrail run alongside the footpath to the church which will help churchgoers and provide a barrier to cyclists. The Parish Councillors offered to ask SPC for a contribution.

 

Date of next meeting 6th March 2017 at 8.15pm.

Peaslake Community Council Minutes 9th January 2017

 

 

MINUTES OF THE JANUARY 9Th 2017 MEETING.

 

Matters outstanding from the December meeting:

 

Phone box on Pursers Lane: Thoughts were to have another defibrillator placed there.

Highways were meeting SPC councillors to discuss the footpath markings and the height of the chevrons by Mackies Hill.

Pavement clearing was ongoing.

 

Village evening:

 

A vote of thanks to Bobby and Sarah Knott for all their effort in producing an excellent evening entertaining all present.

Also to Mr and Mrs Digby Hulme for supplying the electricity for the Village Christmas tree.

The new lights given by SPC certainly brighten up the tree.

 

Village Matters:

 

SPC were looking into parking restrictions around the Village telephone box.

GBC had notified SPC that there was no funding for barriers.

Christine Harrison mentioned that Brian Perry had asked for the story behind the Village painting to be displayed by it in the Hall.

Mrs Colebrook wished to stand down from looking after the flower boxes outside the bus stop.

 

Next meeting: Monday the 6th February 2017.

Community Council Minutes 5th December 2016

MINUTES OF THE DECEMBER 5th 2016 MEETING.

Matters outstanding from the last meeting:

All present thought that the work by SPC to the entrance of School steps was well done and looked good.
Markings on footpath and priority for traffic _ Still awaiting site visit by Highways.
Christine Harrison thanked SPC for the lights from the OSR to the Church. MU said he had not yet received the lights for the Village Tree and Hall but understood they would be with us before the 9th.
No one had come up with a suggestion of use for the Pursers lane Phone Box.

Peaslake Village Fund.

A cheque for £300.00 was presented to CH on behalf of the fund for the Peaslake Visitors and Lunch Group.

Village Matters for SPC:

The footpaths from Rad Lane to Mackies Hill were again mentioned. These are now overgrown and in poor condition in places. Tree roots near the Post Box and damaged surfaces opposite East View Cottages.
The height of the poles to take the “chevrons” near the steps was mentioned.

Date of next meeting: 9th January 2017.

Wishing all residents and those who read the Parish Magazine a Very Happy 2017.

Community Council Minutes 7th November 2016

MINUTES OF THE NOVEMBER 7th MEETING.

Peaslake Community Council

 

 

 

Matters outstanding from the last meeting:

 

Over grown paths from school steps to Hoe Lane and Farney Lane to post box still need attention.

 

Treasurers report;

 

No change from last month.

 

Housing:

 

Mrs Sophie Blackburn brought up The Community Land Trust as an option for Peaslake Farm.

Members of CLT were having informed talks with other association on alternative housing.

SPC councillors present mentioned that this information was not helpful at the moment, whilst they were establishing a process.

SPC housing survey was due back by the 7th November.

 

Village Matters:

 

The work by the steps to the school was nearly finished.

A new coloured path has been laid on Peaslake Lane between the shop and the old surgery for pedestrian use, but some cyclists were using it thinking it was a cycle lane. Pedestrian symbols were to be added.

SPC were having a site meeting with GBC to see if Peaslake Lane could have a traffic priority system with priority in the south direction.

 

SBC had kindly given to the Village new lights for the Village Christmas Tree and Christmas lights for the front of the Village Hall.

 

OAB:

 

BT wants to remove the telephone box from Pursers Lane near Rad Lane. SPC asked if anyone had any ideas for a community use for the box?

 

The Villagers Group were having defibrillator instruction in February if anyone is interested in learning how to use it please contact Adrienne Golightly 01306 731679 golighaj@gmail.com

 

Ken Harrap mentioned that The Battle of the Somme vigil at St Mark’s Church with music and readings had been very successful.

 

Date of next meeting Monday 5th December 2016 @ 8.15pm.